Let’s talk today about good and bad menus first. Good menus are those that are SEO friendly, bad ones are those that are not. Simple logic.
A few words about portfolio pages. They are a gold mine for onsite optimization, there would be many wrongs. They are all frills and no stuff. They are stupid. They make lot of noise.
Many a times, they have this animated JS enabled menus that are not crawlable by bots. Big mistake and out subject of talk today.
- Don’t use images for making menu images, instead try CSS, it’s cleaner, quick and easy to manage.
- If it’s completely necessary, keep the JS menus, but submit the linking pages to google.
- Avoid sound effects please, it’s so 90′s!
- Use text to link to pages in the navigation menus if possible.
- Place the navigation menus wither on the top, or the left hand table, or at a place where crawlers won’t miss it.
- Don’t embed them in frames – big mistake!
So the idea is that Navigation menus should be simnple, crawlable, easy to navigate and thus serving the purpose. Let them not be too fancy, complex and JS enabled. It defeats the purpose.