We’ve discussed earlier about how cutting short the homepage posts with a “Continue reading” link and not letting them display the entire text, saves us from generating possible duplicate content on WordPress.
seo-wordpress-plugins” width=”510″ height=”100″ /> If you haven’t noticed those posts yet, we’ve discussed that there are a few areas in WordPress that might give chances to duplicate content which might create some confusion with the robots having displayed the same content on different pages on the same domain.
Ex:- The Archive pages, Tag pages, and the homepage will all display and let index the same content as on the individual article pages on WordPress. So when the bots look for possible matches to a content based on a search query, they would possibly be confused with the three or more pages having the same content. Where as if there were only a single occurrence of the content, which had clear authority over the other duplicates, then the bots would select that page to display on the SERPs.
Essentially, we might want to reduce the duplicate content by -
- Not displaying the entire text on the homepage.
- Not indexing the archive pages and the tag pages (unless they are distinguished).
- And not tagging the same article in more than one category.
While we already know of advanced techniques to reduce the duplication issues on tag pages and category pages, the homepage has less options to not let the entire text being displayed. (The Homepage Excerpts plugin from DBT has less options as we know it.)
Luckily, we have a new solution.
Here’s a new customizable homepage excerpts plugin that will let you cut short the entire text from being displayed on the homepage.
It let’s you customize -
- The number of words to display before ending the excerpt.
- Customize the text for the link to the full post. Default is “Keep reading this entry”.
- Stylize the link as it is enclosed in a separate class.
That’s sweet ! Download the plugin here.